Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Who Shall Run Our Ports?

I HAVE TO admit that my initial reaction to the ports story is to side with Bush. I'm sure I'll have a chance to reconsider once I've read more about the emerging issue (I'm claiming ignorance during my current trip to New England). But it seems a bit quick-on-the-draw to assume that a simple change in ownership, even if it is to UAE Ports, will somehow threaten our ports. Remember, the operations at these ports are currently being run by a British company called Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co. Perhaps the bigger question is why 6 of the largest ports in the United States are being run by foreign companies. It does seem like this issue is every conservative Republican's nightmare: they have to decide whether they side with Jimmy Carter or Hillary Clinton.

Much more to come, I'm sure. WaPo and NYT have much more, including comments regarding POTUS's impromptu press conference with the media today on AF1.

2 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does make for a sleepless night, knowing that Jimmie and i agree on something.
Im glad to see that you dont just dance to whatever tune the increasingly shrill Democrats are playing these days.
Like him or not, i cannot believe that President Bush would ever do anything to remotely harm our security.
Also, i thought that the aspect of the deal that he didnt know about until recently was the stipulation that the company would be under special oversight by our government. I saw something about it on drudge.

 
At 2/28/2006 10:25 AM, Blogger French for a While said...

Thanks for checking in. Keep sending the comments, they keep me balanced -- usually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home