Sunday, July 16, 2006

Mr. Bush is No Teddy Roosevelt

I'VE TRIED TO read as many biographies of Teddy Roosevelt as possible. I can't brag about my results -- I'm only up to three so far. But those three are enough for me to know that TR and George Bush don't have very much in common -- despite what Karl Rove thinks.

Don't know what I'm talking about? Take a look at this piece in the New Republic by Washington Times writer Eric Pfeiffer. Here's the start:

Last week's Time magazine carried a paean to the virtues of Theodore Roosevelt by Karl Rove. Titled "Lessons from a Larger-than-Life President," Rove's article offered such insights as "The United States, while not flawless, is a profound force for good in the world" (lesson three) and "Character matters" (lesson seven). Though our current president--and Rove's boss--isn't mentioned in the piece, the implication is clear: George W. Bush is a modern-day TR. Yet anyone familiar with TR's life and presidency should understand that not only would he have had serious differences with George Bush, he would have hated Karl Rove....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home